Friday, September 17, 2010

Can't please everyone

My friends I know it has been forever since I have written a blog. I have so much to let out that I am sure that will change. I have been enjoying my last year in the 30's...As I approach 40 I want to continue the good things that I have begun and I am allowing God to mold me and shape me into what He wants me to be. So on to my first dilemma.
In January I took over the choir director position at my church. To give a little back ground info..I took over this position when the Choir director/ organist resigned. I was approached to take over the Choir. So instead of receiving payment for the job. I volunteered my services. However I wanted to use the money that they would have payed me to help find a good Accompanist. We hired someone with excellent Piano skills and moderate Organ skills. He has added so much to the program. As the new year has gone on. We have turned the choir around. I faced alot of obstacles at first because it was habit for some choir members to not show up on Wednesday Rehearsal and just show up Sunday Morning wanting to sing..even if they had no clue what we were singing. I let this slide until we broke off for the summer. Over the summer I talked with the pastor and other members of the congregation as well as prayed over where the music ministry was heading. We decided that at the beginning of this new year. Starting this month that we wanted to take the music ministry from a small church to that of a medium sized church. So we felt that it would help us to change a few things of what was accepted in the past. The main one was attendance at Wednesday Rehearsals. We feel that because it does take time and rehearsal to put forth music that is pleasing and acceptable to God that if you had not been to a Wednesday rehearsal to practice the piece we were going to present as an offering on Sunday that we politely ask that you not sing with the Choir on that Sunday.
Now we go over several pieces of music each Wednesday so that if some one was to miss one rehearsal that they would still at least have worked on the piece and have a knowledge of it. However if you have not seen the piece at all because you have missed several Wednesdays. We are asking that you sit out. My question to you who read this....Do you think that is fair? What if you have a person who used to be a faithful member and who used to show up on Wednesdays...but because of scheduling she has not been to any Wednesday rehearsals...she feels that she has the right to sit in the choir loft because she has been a member of the choir for so many years. This person does not read music....She has a strong voice...however she does not always match pitch..a problem that could be fixed if she came to practices...she also sings at the top of her lungs...drowning out everyone else...
I come from the point of view that when I come to worship on Sunday..I want to present my best to the Lord. The Minister prepares his sermon ahead of time. Even the pianist/organist prepares before Sunday. I know that I would sit out if it were me ..and that's because I do read music and would probably be able to sight read it...but even still I would sit out because I know that I have missed out on rehearsal of that song and would feel uncomfortable about just showing up on Sunday.
What would you do in this situation? What if it meant that this person could possibly leave the church over this. I want to do what is right and pleasing to God. I would love to hear your opinion on this . Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. TJ! This is Laura D! I saw your post on Facebook and give you my opinion to see if I can help. I believe that a compromise could be reached, perhaps? What time is church on Sunday? Could you go over a couple songs before hand? Could you ask her to sing only the songs she knows, pointing out that you would like to showcase the voices of those that have rehearsed. It kinda sounds like something that needs to be addressed so that she can enjoy herself and everyone else can too. Love ya, and hope you get everything sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just need to do your ministry the best you can and if she leaves the church over it, you just have to let it happen if that's what she decides. You need to have people there who want to be there and want the best for the church and the Sunday Worship experience. If that's a problem for her then she can find a church that doesn't care how the choir sounds. Unfortunately there are people who leave under these conditions and that is very very sad, but it is not your responsibility to make everyone happy. You are serving God, not man. Love you!

    ReplyDelete